Saturday, October 22, 2011

Sur Le Sujet de Thé


Where do I even begin? 

This is a picture from Téance, a tea store in Berkeley, CA that not only orders their tea directly from tea farms, but also does tastings. I first visited with a group of friends from my dorm (in college) who also love tea. I then took a few friends of the family, and later my boyfriend, Eric. I try to buy some tea every time I go, but some of their tea is very expensive. The Japanese Gyokuro green tea is an amazingly moist and nutty tea. It is rich, but also fresh. And it fetches a high price. I think it was 60 dollars for 2 ounces. I bought Lu Shan Clouds and Mist instead, another refreshing green tea that I love. And I got my Gyokuro from Adagio, an online tea company. 
It didn't disappoint.

The last time Eric and I were at Téance, they had snacks for sale, as was indicated by a little chalk board. It read the flavors of mochi that were available for purchase: 
walnut, matcha, cocoa, adzuki, coconut, vanilla, ginger

Of course we spent probably about 20 minutes deciding, and finally we decided on the adzuki bean flavor, so we asked the manager (he tends the tea bar), and he said, "No, that's all one flavor".
ONE FLAVOR.

Eric and I just looked at each other, utterly amazed. Then we didn't hesitate to order it. 
Had we known 20 minutes ago!?

It was so delicious! 
We savored it with our mini forks, while we sipped Lichee Red Premium. (A Rooibos)
I will find out how to bake with adzuki beans, not to mention make mochi. Then I will tell you! But please don't hold your breath, I am still in Europe.


Téance's "Eight Treasure Herbs"


Téance's Chrysanthemum Herbal tea (can we confirm this?)

Yes, they're Goji Berries! At Téance.

No comments:

Post a Comment