Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Raw Crackers

You came back! That's good because the recipe in this post is not something you want to miss.

Today I feel like a zombie; not the human-sniffing flesh-chomping kind, (bummer!) but the kind in need of some sleep.

When trying to determine the cause of this, I could immediately cross off sugar as the culprit, because I steer clear of refined sugars. Hence the sugar-free cookies I posted in the last blog!
I suggest that you avoid sugar like the plague; it will be obvious physically once you've done so!

I will be posting other sugar-free desserts as well. A few coming attractions:

Raw, sugar-free dark chocolate
Vegan sugar-free pudding                    
Vegan sugar-free carrot cake

The carrot cake will be for my boyfriend Eric, who also happens to be my ultimate partner in crime...er, cooking. We make most of the recipes together actually!

Oh and my military conditioning class Monday morning was excellent! We run in formation, so you have to keep up your pace, and if you're lucky the other people (the ones actually in the military) sing marching songs. It's quite cute actually.

If anyone is interested in running, I recommend Asics Gel running shoes (not necessary to spend over $100).


Raw Foodism

When I first heard of Raw Foodism, I wondered what could be eaten apart from vegetables, fruits, and nuts. But just as I thought veganism was radical and extreme when I was twelve, I quickly investigated and now do some of my own raw "cooking".

My friend Marika introduced me to a restaurant called Cafe Gratitude. Approximately 90% of the menu is raw, with 100% of it being vegan. I went there and couldn't believe my taste buds! The food was exquisite! For a price, but when you think about how valuable you consider your body and health, forking over some of your earnings for well, a healthier fork doesn't seem too bad.

I eventually purchased the recipe book, which contains in it a cracker recipe that I took advantage of.

Pizza Crust/Buckwheat Crackers

The final result! The green is from the spinach.
You'll need a food dehydrator, and food processor.


Rinse well, pre-soak for 8 hours, and drain:

2 cups whole grain buckwheat*
2 2/3 cups sunflower seeds


1 Tbsp chopped garlic
2 c spinach*
2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp + 2 tsp. Italian herbs
1/4 c ground flax seeds
1/2 c + 2 Tbsp olive oil
pulp of 1 or 2 carrots*
Spirulina, Chlorella, and Sea Veggie Seasoning*


In a food processor fitted with an S blade, combine all ingredients. Always taste and add more seasoning if you like. Keep in mind that the paste you create will eventually be dehydrated, so all the flavors will be a lot more concentrated. So be conservative!

Spread to about a 1/4 inch thick on dehydrator sheets. Once the crackers are dried enough, you will be able to peel them off the sheets and place them moist-side-up directly on the trays. 


Once the crackers snap apart, they are probably done. It helps to press down and feel for moist spots just in case.


The plant enzymes in these raw crackers are still in tact (not broken down by cooking, because we didn't cook...oops!). This means that these enzymes will help your body digest the food and assimilate the nutrients better. Drink plenty of water as well to prevent dehydration.

*Use raw buckwheat, so the recipe truly is raw.

*The original recipe calls for 2 c veggie pulp, but I didn't have any and my roommate's spinach was calling to me. You can use any vegetables you like, as long as the water content is high. Oh and my roommate did approve of the use of her spinach in this recipe.  =P

*The carrot pulp was used in place of carrot juice. 

*Lastly, the seasoning was something I found at Whole Foods. It contains "superfoods" which help keep your intestinal tract healthy, in part by maintaining beneficial bacterial flora. It is also alkalizing, meaning that it will slightly neutralize your stomach acid. That's beneficial because when your stomach is too acidic, one possible outcome is that fat cells are used to coat and protect your organs and stomach lining. The presence of fat cells reduces organ to organ communication, and your body runs less efficiently.

Spirulina, Chlorella, and Sea Vegetable Seasoning
 

No comments:

Post a Comment