Sunday, February 6, 2011

Hello!

Welcome



A sweet one to initiate you:

Gluten-free, sugar-free chocolate chip cookies.

This recipe is adapted from Elana's Pantry. For the sake of numerical simplicity, I doubled the recipe here:

2.5 c unblanched almond flour
2.5 c brown rice flour
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 c grapeseed oil
2 tbsp vanilla extract
1 c agave nectar
2 c dark, grain-sweetened chocolate chips
  1. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl
  2. Stir wet ingredients together in a smaller bowl
  3. Mix wet ingredients into dry
  4. Form ½ inch balls and press onto a lightly oiled baking sheet
  5. Bake at 350° for 7-10 minutes
  6. Cool and serve

*I used unblanched almond flour because I had already purchased it from Trader Joes. If you use 5 cups unbleached almond flour, the wet ingredients may not be properly absorbed, so use all blanched almond flour, or combine your unblanched almond flour with some other flour.

*Check the ingredients when you buy your vanilla. Some brands have undesirable corn syrup, which I will go into more depth about later.

*I usually substitute 1 c honey as a sweetener. It doesn't make it vegan but I have a few reservations about Agave Nectar, despite the fact that I use it from time to time.

*Sunspire has fabulous grain-sweetened chocolate chips!


I really need to go to sleep now, as I have to wake up at 0550 for military conditioning! It's a 0.5 unit class my roommate convinced me to take with her. Running in formation is fun though, I have to admit!

Try the recipe, it's very good!

Goodnight


5 comments:

  1. They are excellent! I definitely recommend this recipe!

    Oh and my dad once described my vegan, sugar-free macaroons as "healthy!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are cucumbers healthy? I heard the darker the green in veggies, the better for you. Or is it just the skin of the cucumber that has any real nutritional value (unlike those darn misleading stalks of celery)?!! Anyways, The Blooming Kettle is such a unique name! I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Bubba: You couldn't have asked me about vegetables at a better time, because we have been discussing plants in Biology, as well as fruits and vegetables in my Food Science and Technology class.

    First of all, cucumbers are fruits because they have seeds. The seeds need nutrients and sugars in order to germinate and propagate the life cycle. Cucumbers taste a little sweet, yah? But most of the cucumber innards are water (~95%). Maybe I should dehydrate one and see how small it shrinks down.

    The dark green skin contains phytochemicals. They are not nutritive but work as antioxidants that prevent oxidative damage to the cells of your body (that causes aging). They also have a fair amount of Vitamin E and potassium.

    This is a cool website I found:

    http://www.botanical-online.com/pepinosangles.htm

    Hope that answers all your questions about cucumbers. And thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the name...think too, of the tea blossoms we indulge in, yes? The transformation of dried up leaves into a fragrant nectar...yum!
    thanks for sharing your recipes and your knowledge. I think you have a hit on your hands!

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg
    i love this lady!
    Ron nelson
    snowed in in Fairfield, CT!

    ReplyDelete