Saturday, July 30, 2011

Buckwheat Granola

Suddenly too warm to eat hot cereal?

Upset with all the sugary high-fructose corn syrup cereals in the markets?

Now there is never any need to set foot in the treacherous cereal aisles of boxed addiction and obesity! Heh, okay many cereals ARE healthy, but you see what I mean.
 Candy cereals for breakfast? It almost brings me to tears.

Children who don't know any better gravitate to them because of the good advertising and the bright colors, and some parents, luckily not many I know, LET THEM!

When I was growing up we were allowed Raisin Bran, Rice Krispies (the cereal, not the treats), and Cheerios. Not even Smart Start. I'm pretty healthy, but I adore Smart Start, I think from deprivation. I indulge from time to time, but not often at all, because it contains some of the aforementioned ingredients.

I think it's good to keep kids healthy, but not be too authoritarian in cereals that are reasonable if eaten in moderation.

Anyways, here I have a recipe for raw cinnamon (raisin) buckwheat granola. Credit is due to Epicurvegan - Buckwheat Granola, that is where I found this recipe.



You will need

flax seed mix
dehydrator

several cups buckwheat
(depends on how concentrated you want the spices)
1 c. raisins
1 c. any nuts you like
0.5 c. ground flaxseed
4 tsp. ground cinnamon
0.5 c. Agave nectar
2 Tbsp. water
buckwheat-flax mix
pinch sea salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract


1. Rinse the buckwheat well, then soak, covering it with plenty of water, for 6-8 hours. I did mine overnight.

2. Mix together the water, flax seed, agave, cinnamon, and vanilla in a small bowl.

on the dehydrator
3. After draining the buckwheat, combine with flax seed mixture, nuts, and raisins. A fork was good for this.

4. Lay the entire mixture out on the dehydrator trays, and allow to dehydrate for 6-8 hours.

5. When it is sufficiently crunchy, it is done! Place in airtight containers, and I put mine in the fridge because I was worried about perishability from the moisture in the raisins.

in the air tight container
6. Let it soak in your milk of choice (I use almond milk), for a few minutes before eating, or just eat
the granola without milk as a snack.



No comments:

Post a Comment