Thursday, April 28, 2011

Vegan, Raw, Sugar-Free Chocolate Pudding

For my 18th birthday in 2009, Marika gave me this raw vegan chocolate mousse from Whole Foods. It was absolutely delicious. I don't remember the exact ingredients, but back then I was more focused on foods being merely vegan anyway, although I do remember Marika speaking of avocados and banana.

Since Winter Quarter 2010, I haven't been able to get raw vegan sugar-free pudding out of my head. It has got to be one of the easiest indulgences to make, as there is no baking (raw), so we don't have to fret over leavening or the sugar replacement responding unfavorably to heat.

I found the recipe on a website called "Naturally Knocked Up", which does not mean knocked up by food, but if given no other choice...I'd pick raw, vegan, whole foods every time! It's actually a website dedicated to increasing fertility through food. The woman who runs it is a Master Herbalist student, and encourages whole nutrition in its most natural state to influence the body's natural function.

Enough blather...

Raw Vegan Pudding

1 very ripe banana
1 avocado
1/8 c unsweetened cocoa powder
2-3 tsp maple syrup or agave nectar
non-dairy milk for thinning (if needed)

Blend all ingredients until as smooth as you like using a food processor or blender. If the pudding is too think, add the milk 1 tbsp at a time until the consistency suits your fancy.

The website also noted some other options:
1 tbsp almond butter
1 tbsp coconut oil
1.5 tsp vanilla
mint leaves
fruit

Add whatever you like. This can easily become a nutrient pudding, with protein if you add a nut butter and potassium from the banana and avocado. If you add spice, like cinnamon, you've got some antibacterial action. Berries would supply you with antioxidants as well.

Not to mention the maple syrup or agave nectar...but I see that as more mental well-being, because it's not easy watching everyone I know inhale sugary foods all day long...college students treat their bodies like hazardous dumps! They'll come around.

No comments:

Post a Comment